16 Broad Street
Nantucket, MA 02554
(508) 325-4100 ext 7007
Carl K. Borchert
Board of Selectmen
This temporary work group will:
1. Prepare a recommended process* for presentation to the Board of Selectmen in March, 2012 for the development of a comprehensive Coastal Management Plan for Town-owned property.
* process to include input from interested individuals, groups or stakeholders, including how that input will be sought; regularly-scheduled public meetings in accordance with the requirements of the Open Meeting Law including the taking and posting of meeting minutes; utilization of technical assistance from the state’s Coastal Zone Management agency and its StormSmart Coasts Program; regularly scheduled updates to the Board of Selectmen regarding progress or issues requiring policy direction; a timeline leading to the submittal of a final draft document to the Board of Selectmen, including an outline of what a final plan is expected to contain for the Board’s review and approval in April, 2012
2. Inventory and describe the town-owned property which will be covered by the Coastal Management Plan and identify any municipal infrastructure issues that should be addressed or noted, including areas that are most at risk and criteria which may be used to determine when and if action should be taken to address erosion or other issues.
3. Determine which town-owned properties should retain active unrestricted public access vs. more restricted access in order to reduce risk of infrastructure degradation or deterioration.
4. Identify known erosion-control methods or approaches and evaluate them in terms of industry standards, environmental impact, cost, public access and benefit, as well as where these methods or approaches would best work or not work at the town-owned property locations based on physical characteristics and any other conditions.
5. Identify cost-related items and any additional activities, resources, equipment, programs, etc that will/would be needed to implement action items in the final recommended Plan, including any and all permitting that would be required for implementation. If the Work Group believes that additional funding would help obtain this goal, it should make such a recommendation to the Board of Selectmen as part of its recommendations.