State law requires that all dogs over 6 months have a current dog license. All dogs must be licensed every year. Dog licenses issued for any given year expire on March 31 of the following year.
· Dog licenses are issued each year, expiring on March 31. The renewal period begins April 1 and goes until May 31. Licenses renewed after the renewal period may be subject to a late fee.
· To obtain a yearly dog license, the owner must provide a valid rabies vaccination certificate and the appropriate fee.
How to obtain a dog license
- ONLINE (valid only if a CURRENT rabies certificate is on file with the Town Clerk’s Office)
- IN PERSON– stop by the Town Clerk’s Office with your dog’s rabies certificate and payment
- BY MAIL
1. Fill out the Dog License Form OR Send a NOTE with the following information:
· Owner’s Name
· Physical Address
· Phone Number / Email
· Dog’s Name
2. Include a COPY OF RABIES VACCINATION CERTIFICATE for each dog.
3. Include PAYMENT (checks payable to Town of Nantucket) for license ($10 for spayed/neutered dogs, $15 for intact dogs). The license is FREE if you are over 70 years old AND a year-round resident of Nantucket.
4. Mail the note, vaccination certificate and payment to the Town Clerk’s Office 16 Broad Street, Nantucket, MA 02554