NEW Resident Firearms Licensing Information
Firearms Licensing shall be completed through a mail-in process. Please DO NOT come to the station to apply for your license at this time.
- APPLICATION: New license applicants must complete the Massachusetts Resident LTC/FID Application. Please print and return to the Nantucket Police Department with all items below.
- RESIDENCY: Applicants must be a resident of Nantucket. A copy of your Driver's License with a Nantucket address must be submitted with application.
- FIREARMS SAFETY COURSE: New applicants are required to take a Massachusetts Firearms Safety Course. Upon completion of the safety course applicants will be issued a certificate which will be required documentation for the firearms license application.Approved Basic Firearms Safety Course List
- FINGERPRINTS: New license applicants are required to come to the NPD (AT A LATER TIME) to complete fingerprints and have a photo taken for their ID. Upon receipt of your completed application, the Records agent will contact you to schedule your appointment.
- FEES: The fee for applications is $100.00, unless you are over 70 years of age. If you are over 70 years of age, and this is a renewal the application is free. A check or money order is acceptable, made payable to TOWN OF NANTUCKET.
- All applicants should mail their completed application form, firearms safety certificate and fees, to:
Nantucket Police Department
ATTN: Records Division
4 Fairgrounds Road
Nantucket, MA 02554
After you have submitted your application, you will be contacted to schedule an appointment for processing.
The processing time for new and renewal applications is 45-60 days. Renewal applicants are advised to submit an application at least 30 days prior to the expiration date on their license. There is no grace period for expired licenses, but the law provides an indefinite grace period if your renewal application is submitted prior to your expiration date.
For persons that renew their licenses BEFORE they expire, the transaction receipt will keep your current license active until the new one is either approved or denied. If you have any questions regarding firearms licensing procedures or applicable fees, please contact Records at email@example.com
License to Carry: $100.00
Firearms Identification Card: $100.00
Firearms Identification Card-under 18: $25.00
Renewal applicants over the age of 70 FREE
Retired law enforcement personnel: $25.00
Make all checks and money orders payable to TOWN OF NANTUCKET.