Events & Presentations
Events in 2021
Resilient Nantucket: Designed for Adaptation Forum planned for April 22 (Earth Day) through April 24, this public forum showcases resilience planning and cultural resource protection efforts in Europe and the United States as best practices for adapting historic communities to the impacts of our world’s changing climate.
This virtual gathering will be for not just residents and visitors to Nantucket, but for those nationwide working on resilience planning for historic and natural resources impacted by flooding disasters, extreme storms and coastal erosion. It will be a virtual conference using both a Zoom and an online broadcast platform, both of which allow for individual and panel presentations, audience question and answer and simulcasting on YouTube and other live streaming formats.
Subject-matter experts working in the fields of climate science, engineering, oceanography, resilience planning, historic preservation, economics, flood mitigation, community engagement, natural resource protection, land conservation, communications, climate justice and public policy.
Three keynote presentations (Phil Dyke – National Trust UK; Brenda Ekwurzel – Union of Concerned Scientists and John Englander – Sea Level Rise Institute) and a moderated discussion on Public Policy for Climate Change and Coastal Resilience. This panel interview is moderated by Doug Parsons with America Adapts & Cimpatico Broadcasting. The focus is on policies for climate change mitigation and adaptation at the local, state and federal level. Climate Change, Sustainability and Resilience experts, policymakers and advocates will gather to discuss the current landscape of America’s climate change public policy and what national, state and local leaders are and can be doing to enhance local efforts toward climate adaptation and mitigation.
Sponsors: Town of Nantucket, Commonwealth of Nantucket, Nantucket Preservation Trust, ACKlimate, National Alliance of Preservation Commissions, University of Florida / Preservation Institute Nantucket, ReMain Nantucket, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and Preservation Massachusetts.
Pre-register NOW! Each days schedules are TBA.
- April 22: 12:00 PM - 1:15 PM
- April 23: 12:00 PM - 4:45 PM
- April 24: 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Past events in 2021
- March 12, 2021 – HDC Meeting to Review Guidelines Document
- February 26, 2021 – HDC Meeting to Review Guidelines Document
- February 12, 2021 – HDC Meeting to Review Guidelines Document
- January 15, 2021 – HDC Meeting to Review Guidelines Document
Resilient Nantucket Virtual Presentations
- February 14, 2020 Resilient Nantucket Kick-Off Presentation (PDF) and Link to Video
- September 18, 2020 Forum 1: Resilient Nantucket: Preparing Your Historic Property for a Future of Rising Seas (PDF) and Link to Videos: morning and evening
- November 14, 2020 Resilient Nantucket Community Charrette
- November 21, 2021 Resilient Nantucket Community Charrette part 2
- January 15, 2020 –HDC Meeting Agenda, Presentation of the Resilient Nantucket Toolkit (PDF) and Link to Video
- February 12, 2021 – HDC Meeting Agenda, Guidelines Document for Review (PDF) Link to Video
- February 26, 2021 – HDC Meeting Agenda, Guidelines Document for Review (PDF) Link to Video