You asked, we answered!
This list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) documents the answers for community questions about Nantucket’s Town-wide per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) assessment program activities and public health. This information was updated March 25, 2021.
With the assistance of CDM Smith, the Town prepared a The PFAS Preliminary Assessment and Planning Approach Report, copy available here. This report was revised on March 16, 2021 (original dated February 4, 2021) to address an error in Table 6-1 and now includes an errata sheet at the end of the report. A five-page fact sheet that summarizes the report can be found here.
Have a suggested FAQ topic? email: PFAS@nantucket-ma.gov
- What are PFAS chemicals?
- Where can PFAS be found?
- Are there references that provide levels of PFAS measured in everyday products?
- Why is Nantucket concerned about PFAS?
- How can I help decrease PFAS pollution on the Island?
- I live near the Airport. Where can I find information for the PFAS testing there?
- Are there public drinking water standards concerning PFAS?
- Does MassDEP have a program to support private (domestic) well testing?
- Does the aquifer that the Island gets groundwater from have PFAS in it?
- Can I hook up to public water? If Yes, how?
- Are septic systems or private wastewater treatment within a Zone II aquifer wellhead protection area regulated for PFAS? If so, how?
- Who is available to perform PFAS Sampling & Testing?
- Can PFAS drinking water or soil standards be applied to leachate or co-compost?
- Are private (domestic) wells located below (downgradient of) the landfill impacted by PFAS?
- Is there a plan to collect PFAS samples from the Wastewater Treatment Facility (WWTF) and landfill site?
- Did Waste Options perform PFAS testing at the landfill in the summer of 2019?
- Even though 2019 PFAS testing was done with an imperfect method at the time (EPA 537), were the results found concerning?
- What were the results of the testing of private wells that were sampled by MassDEP/UMass?
- What can residents, businesses, and visitors can do to prevent exposure to PFAS?
- Should I stop growing and eating vegetables using co-compost that may have PFAS?
- Can I water my plants and garden with PFAS-contaminated water and eat that produce?
- How can I limit my exposure to PFAS in my garden?
- What are the PFAS levels in fertilizer and other soil products coming onto the Island?
- Waste Options Nantucket makes products for beneficial re-use. What are they?
- Is it safe to shower using domestic well water that contains PFAS?
- Is it safe for me to bathe my baby using domestic (private) well water that contains PFAS?
- What can I do as a private well owner to remove PFAS from my water?
- Am I at risk if I drink or drank water with PFAS above health standards?
- Is there a way to test my or my family’s blood serum levels for PFAS?