Public Works hosts six Household and commercial Very Small Quantity Generators Waste collection events annually. If you are cleaning out your house or moving, have left over or old products from a project or job, please bring your hazardous waste to the Collection Center on scheduled collection days for proper disposal.
Hazardous waste collection events are held at the Department of Public Works – Administration Offices, located at 188 Madaket Road, two driveways after the Landfill entrance. When you arrive, please stay in your vehicle. DPW Contractors will remove the hazardous materials from your vehicle.
Hazardous Waste Disposal for households and commercial Very Small Quantity Generators (VSQG) is FREE at these events.
What can you bring to the Hazardous Waste Events?
From the workshop
From the yard and garden
From your home
Items Not Accepted
Alkaline Batteries, Ammunition, Explosives, Fireworks, Infectious Waste, Latex Paint, Medicines, Propane Tanks, PCB's, Radioactive Materials, Syringes.
Commercial Hazardous Waste Generators
ALL commercial hazardous waste generators must be registered with Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). See the list of guidance documents below regarding hazardous waste generator registration and permitting for Massachusetts.
- How to Apply for an EPA Hazardous Waste Permit ID:
- How to Deactivate an EPA Hazardous Waste Permit ID:
- Registration Requirements and Fees for Generators of Hazardous Waste:
- 310 CMR 30.000 Massachusetts Hazardous Waste Regulations:
- Frequently Asked Questions About myRCRAid & e-Manifest:
- Hazardous Waste on Nantucket Important Information
- Información sobre la recolección de residuos peligrosos en Nantucket
- MassDEP’s Hazardous Waste Regulations
- MassDEP Guia de ayuda para conformidad reglamentaria para generadores de desechos peligrosos
- MassDEP Guia de Assistência de Conformidade para a geradores de resíduos perigosos.