|If you’ve never had a U.S. passport, are 16 and under, or aren’t allowed to renew an existing passport by mail, you need to apply for a new passport in person.
Before Your Appointment
STEP 1: Gather Documents Early
Generally, you should apply for your new passport as soon as you know you’ll be traveling internationally—at least several months in advance. Passport processing times may vary, so be sure to check the latest State Department service estimates. First-time applicants, minors, and applicants who need a new passport but may not renew by mail may submit their passport application at Culture & Tourism’s Visitor Services Office at 25 Federal Street. The U.S. State Department website explains what you'll need to bring with you.
- Application forms (unsigned)
- Proof of identity document and a photocopy of the front and back
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship document and a photocopy of the front and back
- Passport fees
- $35.00 – Application Acceptance Fee – pay acceptance fees in person at Visitor Services. You may pay the Acceptance Fee by personal check or money order, payable to “Town of Nantucket.” This facility DOES NOT accept credit cards, debit cards or cash.
- Application Processing Fee - Fees vary. Visit Passport Fees to determine the appropriate fee. You may pay the Execution Fee by personal, certified, cashier's, traveler's check, or money order payable to “U.S. Department of State.” This facility DOES NOT accept credit cards, debit cards or cash.
More information on: Applying for a Passport in Person
STEP 2: Prepare Your Application Package
Visit the U.S. Department of State website to learn how to apply for a passport and what documents you need.
- Complete your Form DS-11 Application for U.S. Passport on the State Department website.
- Print your completed application.
DO NOT SIGN YOUR APPLICATION. A Postal employee must witness your signature.
- Have a passport photo taken.
- Photocopy your proof of identity and U.S. Citizenship documents.
- Calculate your fees.
- Visitor Services accepts checks and money orders for acceptance fees.
- State Department processing fees are mailed with your application. You can pay with a personal, certified, cashier's, traveler's check, or money order, payable to "U.S. Department of State."
More information on: Getting Started on Your Application
STEP 3: Schedule an Appointment
The Culture & Tourism Department has set hours that it accepts passport applications, and you’ll need to schedule an appointment using the Passport Application Appointment Scheduler.
1. Go to Schedule an Appointment.
2. Choose a date and time for your appointment.
3. Add your contact information.
4. Enter the number of adults and minors who need appointments.
5. After you choose your appointment date and time and provide your contact information, agree to the Terms and Conditions.
6. Click “Book”. You will receive a confirmation message at the email address you provided.
If you need to modify or cancel your appointment, click the Reschedule link in the confirmation email you received.
STEP 4: Pay Passport Acceptance & Processing Fees
First-time passport applications have two types of basic fees, the application acceptance fee, and the application processing fee. Passport photo fees are paid directly to the facility that took your passport photograph. We do not provide passport photo services at this facility. Fees for faster processing are extra. Learn how to calculate fees and what you can use to pay for them.
Application Acceptance Fees – Culture & Tourism Department’s Visitor Services Office
Pay acceptance fees in person at Visitor Services. You may pay by check or money order, payable to "Town of Nantucket".
- $35.00 – Visitor Service’s acceptance fee
Application Processing Fees – Department of State
State Department payment is sent with your application package. State Department fees are paid separately from Visitor Services fees.