Resources for People with Disabilities
Wheelchair Accessible Taxis
Hours: On demand eighteen hours a day, seven days a week.
The rates for these taxis are the same rates for a non-accessible taxi.
- Nan's Taxi 508-228-9410 - Owner: Val Ryder
- R&R Taxi 508-228-9410 - Owner: Val Ryder
- KCK Taxi 508-228-7874 - Owner: Ken Murray
- Altar Rock Taxi 508-648-5566 - Owner: Headley Bowen
- Your Island Ride 508-325-7516
- Operated by Nantucket Regional Transit Authority (NRTA)
- Hours: Monday-Friday from 8 a.m - 4 p.m.
- You must be eligible for this transportation and advanced reservations are required
- Please contact the NRTA for questions and service
- This service is provided by the Nantucket Regional Transit Authority 508-325-9571
- Operates from early May to early October
- Operates seven days a week from 7 a.m - 11:30 p.m.
- Advanced reservations required
- Nantucket Island Tour 508-228-0334
- Must call at least 24 hours in advance to make a reservation requesting the wheelchair accessible vehicle.
The Town has purchased beach wheelchairs for your use while visiting Nantucket. Please call the Department of Public Works to reserve your beach wheelchair and for any questions that you might have.
Department of Public Works 508-228-7244
Portable Ramps For Disabled Renters
The Commission on Disability on Nantucket has purchased an eight-foot portable ramp, a ten-foot portable ramp, (2) five-foot ramps, and (2) twenty-four inch portable threshold ramps for Nantucket’s disabled visitors to borrow while they are visiting the island.
The eight-foot ramp and ten-foot ramp are typically used to ramp two or three steps. Many decks, stoops, and porches have several steps leading up to them, and with this portable ramp a wheelchair user may be able to gain access to this porch, stoop, or deck. The five-foot ramp is typically used when there is only one step involved. Many times there is small step from the porch, deck, or stoop to the home’s entrance. The threshold ramp may help the disabled person gain access to the home if the step is not too high.
As you are probably aware, there are only a few wheelchair accessible homes for rent on Nantucket. These ramps can make an inaccessible entrance become accessible.
I would be happy to drop off and pick up the ramps at your rental home anywhere on the island. You can reserve it in advance and I will have it waiting at your rental home upon arrival. In the event that I am off-island, I will gladly make the necessary arrangements so that you can have a safe and independent access to your rental home. This is a courtesy service from the Commission on Disability.
If you would like to borrow these ramps at any time, you can reach me at work or at home. I work part time, so if you do not reach me at work, please call me at home.
Email Brenda McDonough
(508) 228-8085 (Work)
(508) 228-5409 (Home)
How to obtain a Nantucket Disabled Parking Permit Application
- Download a disabled parking permit application (PDF)
- Visit your Nantucket physician for an application
- Contact the Nantucket Commission on Disability for an application and an application will be sent to you
- Part-time residents and full-time residents may apply
If the anticipated length of your temporary disability is less than six months please complete your application and apply for a temporary permit at the Nantucket Police Station at 4 Fairgrounds Rd.
If the anticipated length of your temporary disability is six months or greater please send your completed application to the Commission on Disability at the address on the application.
If you have a permanent disability please send your completed application to the Commission on Disability at the address on the application.