If you are planning a special event on one of Nantucket beaches, we ask that you respect our beaches, as they are a fragile environment and open for enjoyment by all.
Due to the high volume of people who use the beaches every day during summer season, we restrict special events on public beaches. Private events or public commercial events can be permitted - with limitations. These limitations include but are not limited to restrictions on size, equipment, alcohol, and entertainment. A special "Beach Event" is defined as any commercial gathering - this includes private catered dinners, marketing events, or retreats.
Special events are allowed on specific public beaches, but the Town of Nantucket does not allow private events to "reserve" beach space. The beach is public and the public use and enjoyment of the beach must be maintained and protected.
The Town of Nantucket processes all beach event permits, but a few beaches require additional permissions. For details regarding the various permitting authorities, please refer to the Beach Permitting Authority List. Permission from non-town permitting authorities must be granted prior to receiving a beach event permit. To apply for a beach event permit, please fill out a Town of Nantucket Special Event application.
Details regarding allowable activities can be found in the Beach Allowable Activity List. If you have any questions regarding hosting a special event on a beach, please contact Marina Dzvonik and she will walk you through the process.
- The applicant must fill out a Town of Nantucket Special Event Application at least 14 business days before requested event. Each permit has a specific fee associated with it. All applicants will be charged a $25 application fee plus the applicable permit fee(s). Please review the Town of Nantucket fee schedule for details.
- Within 7 business days of application submission, the Town’s Events Coordinator will send you an event invoice and outline all the requirements for obtaining a beach event approval.
- Upon receipt of the permit fee and approval of the application, the Town’s Events Coordinator will issue a permit for the beach event.
- The Applicant MUST have all permits and any necessary catering licenses in their possession during their event.
- The Applicant is responsible for any and all damage caused to the beach during the event and by any equipment that is used.